One of the great things about Telegram is that every user has a unique identification number tied to their account. This 9-digit ID stays the same even if you change your username or phone number. Knowing your Telegram ID can come in handy for easily connecting with contacts and having people find you on Telegram without needing your actual phone number.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about finding your personal Telegram ID number, how it works, and how to share it safely with your contacts.
Finding Your Telegram ID on Desktop
Finding your I.D. on the desktop is easy and takes just a few clicks.
First, open the Telegram desktop app and log into your account if you haven’t already. Once you’re logged in:
- Click on the hamburger menu icon in the top left corner (it looks like three horizontal lines stacked on each other).
- From the menu that pops up, select “Settings”. This opens up the Settings page.
- At the top, under “Telegram ID”, you’ll see your 9-digit ID number displayed.
For example, your ID might look something like this:
123456789. All Telegram IDs are 9 digits long. This number is unique to your account and different from all other Telegram users.
Your Telegram ID on your desktop will always be visible in the Settings menu. You don’t have to change any privacy settings to view it.
Finding Your Telegram ID on Mobile
Finding your Telegram ID on mobile is very similar, with just an extra step or two to access the right menu.
- Open up the Telegram app on your phone and log in.
- Tap the menu button in the top left corner (it looks like 3 horizontal lines or bars stacked on each other).
- From the menu, choose “Settings”.
- Next, go to “Privacy and Security” (on iPhone, it may be under “Privacy & Data”).
- Scroll down and tap on “Telegram ID”.
Your unique 9-digit Telegram ID number will now be displayed. It may first show only a few digits, with the rest covered by asterisks. Simply tap on “Click to reveal” to show your full ID.
And that’s it! Just a handful of quick taps, and you’ll uncover your Telegram ID that you can share with any of your contacts.
How Does the Telegram ID Work?
Now that you know how to find your Telegram ID, you may be wondering – how does it work? What’s the purpose of having this unique identifier?
The Telegram ID system is similar to your username but more personalized. Usernames are public-facing and can be changed at any time. Your ID is tied specifically only to your account.
Here are some key facts about Telegram IDs:
- The ID is a 9-digit number randomly generated when you first created your Telegram account.
- It will never change or get reused by another account.
- Unlike your username or phone number, your Telegram ID is permanent and cannot be modified.
- The ID is unique across the global platform. No two Telegram users will ever have the same Telegram ID.
- It’s used behind the scenes to identify your account and connect you with contacts and chats.
- While not mandatory, sharing your ID allows Telegram connections to find and message you easily.
So, in summary, your Telegram ID acts like a secret code or fingerprint for your account. It’s tied to your account and only you permanently. The ID itself doesn’t reveal any personal info, either.
Sharing Your Telegram ID with Contacts
Now that you know how to find your Telegram ID, you may want to share it with some of your contacts on Telegram. This allows them to connect with you easily without needing your phone number or current username.
There are a couple of ways you can share your ID:
- Copy and paste it – Simply copy the 9-digit number and paste it into a message to any contact. Make sure to include your name so they know it’s you.
- Add it to your bio – You can add your Telegram ID to the bio section of your profile, which is visible to all your contacts. This makes it easy for anyone to find.
- Share via QR code – Tap the share button in your Telegram ID menu. This lets you create a unique QR code that encodes your ID. Anyone can scan this QR code to add you as a contact instantly.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when sharing your Telegram ID:
- Be selective about who you share it with. While the ID doesn’t reveal personal info, unwanted contacts could spam you.
- Add it to your bio section if you want it visible to all your contacts. Otherwise, only share your ID directly with trusted connections.
- Unlike your username, you don’t have to share your ID publicly. There are no privacy concerns with keeping it private if you prefer.
- You can change your username in the future, but your ID will always stay the same.
Following these tips will allow you to maximize the convenience of your Telegram ID without compromising your account privacy or security.
FAQs Of How Can I find My Telegram ID Number?
Why do I need a Telegram ID? What’s the benefit?
The main benefit is that it allows your contacts to connect with you even if your username or phone number changes. It’s a permanent way to identify you on Telegram.
Can someone message me if they know my Telegram ID?
Yes, anyone with your Telegram ID can send you messages, even if they don’t have your phone number. That’s why you shouldn’t share it publicly.
Can I delete or change my Telegram ID if I want?
No, the Telegram ID tied to your account cannot be altered or deleted. It’s permanent for your account. You can change your username, though.
Is my ID the same on Telegram desktop and mobile?
Your Telegram ID will be identical across the desktop and mobile apps. It syncs to your account and isn’t tied to a particular device.
Can someone hack my account with my Telegram ID?
No, the ID itself can’t be used to hack or access your account. As long as your login credentials remain secure, your ID doesn’t pose a security risk.
Why are some digits hidden when I view my ID on mobile?
Telegram masks a portion of the ID by default as a privacy measure. You can tap to reveal the full ID at any time.
Finding and sharing your Telegram ID can be a great way to boost connectivity with your contacts on the platform. Now that you know where to locate it on desktop and mobile, you can easily access and share your unique 9-digit identifier anytime.
Remember that your Telegram ID never changes, so your contacts will always be able to find you, even if your username or phone number is different. Remember privacy and security best practices when deciding whom to share your ID.
Hopefully, this guide has helped demystify Telegram I.D.s! Let us know in the comments if you have any other questions. And please share this post if you found it helpful.
I am a technology Specialized writer and blogger based in the USA & UK. I have four years of experience in Cyber Security, Technology, Social Media and all types of electronic devices like computer laptops etc. So I work on solving these issues and give various tips on these issues